Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hatched By 2 Chicks


Ali is 14 weeks today...yipppeeee... We spent our weekend at gay pride. It was so much fun to see old friends and ones that have had a baby. Ali wore a maternity shirt...not that she's showing much, but it seems to be comfortable...and we're all about comfort. After pride we stopped by C & A's house to pick up a gift her and her mom bought for us...it is so damn cute....I took a pic to show it off and that's what our baby will wear to gay pride next year.


In baby news...We are trying to figure out if we will do the testing for Downs and spina bifida? I hear there are a lot of false positives? I guess we both feel like if it's not going to change our minds, why take the test? Ali also plans on a natural child birth...you go girl...(I am woman..hear me roar)...so that brings up our hiring a Douala. I think it is totally a great idea. I am such a fix it kinda person, so I see this as someone really helping her do this! I think I may need the epidural or some kind of meds. I am still in ahhhh...I just love this baby!

10 comments:

K J and the kids said...

WHERE DID SHE GET THAT BAG AND ONSIE ? LOVE IT !

Like everything...this pregnancy is flying by for me :) Holy cow !

I felt the same way about the tests.
I guess the reason for wanting to know is to reduce the shock factor when the wee chick hatches.
Prepare yourself. If it's a false positive...then I guess you can celebrate that...but if it's right you can educate and prepare yourself for what to expect with the delivery. If. and it's a big IF there is reason to have more medical intervention...you may want to know Miss ALL NATURAL ! :)
That's just my opinion. which means very little !

Ninefirefly said...

We decided not to do the testing. There are alot of false positives and it seemed like uneccessary stress to add to an already stressful time and since I wasn't in any of the groups with heightened risk factors. . . anyway the real thing to think about is whether you would abort or not and if not then I would say to just forgo it altogether. Just my 2 cents though! Nice onesie!

Mimi said...

Will you deliver at your hospital?

Raene and River said...

I haven't done that testing either time. It doesn't seem worth it. Also, it may help to ask if you would do anything different if you found out there was a problem. Some wouldn't, so why do the testing?

Natural childbirth is so empowering. I did Bradley the first time around and didn't think it was helpful at all...mostly just stuff your instincts tell you about birth. I LOVE HypnoBirthing and I've heard HypnoBabies is even better.

j.k-c. said...

Cute gift! We LOVED our doula and would highly recommend having one. She was just as supportive of S as she was of me and it was just nice having someone around who knows how the whole process works, know what I mean? Although we hoped for a natural birth, it didn't end up that way, but having the doula there as a support through all the decision making and all the interventions was priceless.

La said...

Yes, we plan on delivering at our hospital. Since Ali is an L&D nurse it seemed right to deliver there, even tho sometimes she talks about a home birth.

Debby and Patti said...

It was great to see you, too! DON'T do the testing if you know you won't abort. I had a false positive and it was a horrible experience. The perinatologist really tried to push us into an amnio and pretty much was going to push us to abort if the baby had Down Syndrome, which we would never do. It was a horrible experience.

Toni :O) said...

Don't do the test. I didn't even know it was optional back then and mine came back with a potential for Down's. I decided to do the amnio as I wanted to know (since the possibility was put into my head!) ahead of time in order to prepare myself..never would I have aborted. However, our amnio came back and baby was just fine. I delivered a healthy baby girl on July 1st of 2003 and every day I relish in my miracle baby..the one everyone thought had a disability is healthy, bright and funny as heck. Skip that test, that one month of not knowing what was going on with my baby was complete and total agony and stressful! You don't need that stress and if I could change anything, it would never to have done the test in the first place. Good luck and I'm so happy for you both...such an exciting journey you are on!

Get off your butt and run said...

I feel compelled to put my two cents in. I deal with this very question with patients all the time and I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell them. Knowledge is power...We deliver between 35-60 babies a month in our practice and we have about three positives a month. Most of the time things turn out perfect. The test comes back in five days and if there is a positive I book my patient an appointment with a specialist for the next day. 90% of the time they don't even recommend an amnio.
The doctor that does the Ultrasound (versus a sonographer which you get most of the time)examines very closely for any marker of the three abnormalities associated with the testing. Bottom line is patients that are aware ahead of time handle everything better because they have Knowledge and a support system in place.
But you don't have to worry....I am very confident that your baby is just Perfect!! I have not had a gay couple yet with a problem. One thing I have noticed is that all of the children that I have seen born to lesbians are super smart and extra cute.

welcome2ourworld said...

Our due dates are only 9 days apart :) We did the test last week and everythink looks "perfect". We were thinking a lot about testing or not, but in the end we decided to do it. And we are glad we did it.